Sunday, 13 September 2026

The Corrugated Barn

 



Apologies for the sound, it's a breezy April morning in Devon. It quietens down very soon.

On my way to my studio I often pass this farmyard. It is by far my favourite farmyard because it's been kept exactly as it was when it was originally build. Probably it was thatched but it is the corrugated metal roof that has captured my imagination for my next paper-mache bowl or rather series of bowls. I've already painted up the tissue paper that I'll use for this. It's what remains from the Lichen Bowls in my previous video. Images of these bowls have been floating around in my imagination for a long time but now they've all come together and it's now time to make them. Please refer to The Lichen Bowl - Part One on my YouTube channel to follow the tutorial on how I paint the tissue paper. This is a great way to develop creativity. And quite straightforward. I probably need to say that I've been developing the art and craft of paper-mache for 35 years and in that time I've built up a comprehensive collection of both knowledge on this extraordinarily interesting craft and of a wide selection of art materials that I can use. I also paint so I have all those materials to hand too. I do realize that when you start out you may have a limited amount of time to learn and of materials to use. I began with the three primary colours plus black and white and glue I made from flour and water. So you don't need to feel you can't begin because you don't have the exact materials that I'm using - adapt to what you have - keep going and be true to yourself. It's a wonderful journey. Materials - in order of use in this video Corrugated cardboard Good quality white tissue paper - machine finished if possible but any will do if handled carefully. P.V.A glue or equivalent Translucent Silicone Mats - to work on - or plastic bags - cut to open and taped down Paper Towels Water - Jars and Bowls of water Assorted Brushes - hog hair, stencil, soft round, soft flat, Daler Rowney FW Pearlescent Black Acrylic Ink Roberson Gold Ink Rich Pale Gold Daler Rowney’s White Gesso Primer - Golden Fluid Acrylic Green Gold Series 7 Daler-Rowney FW Pearlescent Artists Acrylic Ink White Pearl Dr. Ph. Martin's Hydrus Ink Yellow Ochre Dr. Ph. Martin's Hydrus Ink Payne's Grey Roberson Superfine Metallic Bronze Powders Cosmic Shimmer - Gilding Flakes Autumn Leaves Polyvine Acrylic Size.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...